DIY Decorative Fabric Balls

Wednesday, June 6, 2012


Don't you adore the fabric ball trend? I am totally digging it and have been coveting some I saw on Etsy for awhile now. I just love that they can be any style you want them to be depending on the fabric pattern and color that you choose. So I thought I'd try to make my own. How hard could it be? Turns out.... it's really, really easy! Which is good for me... because I like easy. 

You only need fabric, a glue gun, scissors, and styrofoam balls. Most of you probably already have enough fabric lying around the house since you only need about a 1/4 yard for each ball. And I venture to say that most of you have a pair of scissors... maybe. If your husband hasn't forgotten where he put all 5 pairs that you used to have. Anyway, if you don't have a glue gun you can find one at any craft store for under $5.00 and you should you be able to find the styrofoam balls there as well. I used a 3" size ball, but you can pick whatever size you want. Personally, I'm a Hobby Lobby kind of girl. They seem to always have everything I need and more.



STEP 1:  Cut your fabric strips. I had pieces of fabric that were 18 inches x 1/2 yard. Since I used cotton fabric, I was able to just cut a slit about every 1 inch in the bottom of the fabric along the grain and then just rip each strip. Cotton will rip in a perfectly straight line. My mother-in-law taught me that trick awhile back and it totally works! I prefer the look of the ripped fabric strips, but you can cut them the whole way up if you desire. Don't worry about them being perfect. Once they are wrapped around the balls you won't even be able to tell.



STEP 2:  So I had about 8-10 fabric strips that were 1 inch x 18 inches. This part does not have to be exact. The size of the strips and number really varies on what size foam ball you are covering. Next you need to wrap each strip around the ball. Secure the ends with the glue gun. You could wrap them all in the same direction or however you want the pattern to look. I just went for the "cover the ball" technique. I wasn't really worried about a pattern. This is seriously so easy. Now are you ready to see how great they look?!



I know, right?! They look amazing and they were so simple to make!


So now I'm going to go back to Hobby Lobby and buy a ton of fabric in lots of different colors and patterns and make a million more of these. I'm in love with this!






1 comment:

  1. These look like a fun project!! So simple, but with a fantastic decor punch. Good job!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Powered by Blogger · Designed by Pish and Posh Designs